DSST Introduction to Computing Practice Questions Answer Key
1. A: Explanation: Answer A is correct because hardware makes up all of the physical aspects of a computer system, while software makes up all the non-physical aspects of a computer system. All remaining options are not correct because various components of hardware and software are misaligned (software attributes which are actually hardware, etc.).
2. C: Explanation: Answer C is correct because the CPU’s main function is to process inputs (from keyboard, mouse, etc.) and execute software or hardware actions. It is not used for data storage.
4. D: Explanation: Microcontrollers are embedded computers installed in “smart” devices, enabling them to store and use information. All options but D typically come from the manufacturer with a microcontroller built in.
5. A: Explanation: Answer A is correct because it is now common for computers to transmit data or information via modem or network to the outside world. The other options are not correct because they are redundant and already included within the four operations listed in the question.
6. C: Explanation: Answer C is the only correct acronym; all RAM memory is temporary, not permanent.
7. B: Explanation: Answer B is correct because digital data is binary, comprised entirely of ones and zeroes, while analog data constantly fluctuates and continuously changes. All other options are incorrect because the definitions of digital are actually binary and vice versa or are completely false.
8. A: Explanation: Answer A is correct because it lists the capacities in the correct order and names only legitimate computer capacity amounts.
9. C: Explanation: Answer C is the only option which is not a native binary coding scheme.
10. A: Explanation: Answer A is correct because it is the only option that contains the four correct components placed properly within the hierarchy. The other options either contain incorrect components and/or are in the incorrect position within the hierarchy.