Ace the MAT test using our MAT exam study guide with practice questions.
Quickly Solve Difficult MAT Test Questions with the MAT Flashcard Study System.
One common test used for admission to graduate schools is the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). This particular test is different than most other standardized admissions test for college and graduate study in that it's very narrowly focused.
As the name implies, the MAT test is strictly about analogies, or things that are alike in one or more ways, often obliquely. It has a very simple format-you'll have 50 minutes to complete 100 partial analogies. The vast majority of them will be verbal, but there will be a few mathematical analogies on every test. To do well on the MAT test, you'll need a good grasp of how words relate to and complement each other, as well as a familiarity with the liberal arts-history, art, literature, philosophy, as well as math and science.
It can be taken on a computer, or with pen and paper. It's scored on a percentile basis, and you'll receive your score a few weeks after completing the test. You can usually register to take the MAT test through your college, or you can register directly online at their website.
StudyGuideZone.com offers an exclusive free, downloadable study guide to the Internet community for the MAT test. The guide is in PDF format, so you'll need Adobe's free Reader (already installed on most computers) to view it. Anyone is free to link to this page or the MAT study guide on our server to let students know about this resource.
1. KELVIN : TEMPERATURE :: TROY : ______
2. POST : AFTER :: PERI : ______
3. GOAT : NANNY :: PIG : ______
4. CACHE : RESERVE :: DEARTH : ______
6. ARABLE : FARMABLE :: ASYLUM : ______
7. UFFIZI : FLORENCE :: RIJKSMUSEUM : ______
8. SATIRE : HUMOR :: BUREAU : ______
9. TITAN : GIANT :: PROGENITOR : ______
10. MUNCH : THE SCREAM :: VAN GOGH : ______
1. A: Weight. As Kelvin is a temperature scale, so troy is a weight scale.
2. A: Around. As the prefix post- means after, the prefix peri- means around.
3. D: Sow. A female goat is a nanny and a female pig is a sow.
4. B: Paucity. Cache and reserve are synonyms. The answer choice synonym for dearth is paucity.
5. B: Pithy. Discursive and digressive are synonyms. The answer choice synonym for succinct is pithy.
6. A: Refuge. Arable and farmable are synonyms. The answer choice synonym for asylum is refuge.
7. D: Amsterdam. As the Uffizi is a museum located in Florence, so the Rijksmuseum is a museum located in Amsterdam.
8. B: Furniture. Satire is a kind of humor and a bureau is a kind of furniture.
9. A: Forebear. Titan and Giant are synonyms. The answer choice synonym for progenitor is forebear.
10. B: The Sunflowers. Edvard Munch painted The Scream; Vincent Van Gogh painted The Sunflowers.
© 2014 Copyright Study Guide Zone. All rights reserved. All information on this site is provided as is, without warranty.
Since we are giving information away, we cannot be held liable for incidental mistakes. Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with StudyGuideZone.com. Permission is not required to add a link to this resource.