The Series 66
Exam is computer-based, and includes 110 multiple-choice questions. Of the 110 questions,
100 will count toward your score. You will have 2.5 hours to complete the exam.
examinees with conditions covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act,
that require special testing accommodations, you can make this request in
available accommodations are extra time, a reader, large print exam book, and
separate testing room.
What topics and sub-topics are covered on the Series 66 Exam?
- Economic Factors and Business Information – 5 questions
- Investment Vehicle Characteristics – 20 questions
- Client/Customer Investment Recommendations and Strategies – 30 questions
- Laws, Regulations, and Guidelines, including Prohibition on Unethical Business Practices – 45 questions
Economic Factors and Business Information
The sub-topics assessed in this topic include time value of money concepts, descriptive statistics, financial ratios and how they are used, and valuation ratios.
Investment Vehicle Characteristics
The sub-topics assessed in this topic include valuation and fixed income securities, valuation and equity securities, evaluation and pooled investment vehicles, futures, alternative investments, insurance-based products, and other assets.
Client/Customer Investment Recommendations and Strategies
The sub-topics assessed in this topic include client/customer types and profiles, capital market, portfolio management, tax considerations, retirement plans, ERISA, special account types, estate planning, securities trading, and portfolio performance.
Laws, Regulations, and Guidelines, including Prohibition on Unethical Business Practices
The sub-topics assessed in this topic include regulating investment advisers, investment adviser representatives, broker-dealers, broker-dealer agents, and securities and issuer, administrative issues, communication, and ethical practices.
What is the most convenient way to schedule my Series 66 Exam?
The firm that is sponsoring you, can apply and pay for your exam online. Your exam must be scheduled within the 120-day testing window allotted. If unable to register online, doing so over the phone is another option.
What is the cost of taking this exam?
The cost of taking this exam is $165.
What are the testing dates and locations?
The Series 66 Exam is offered throughout the year. It can be taken at various sites throughout the US. There are also some locations outside of the U.S. where the exam can be taken.
What should I do the day of the exam?
Report to the testing center early so you have sufficient time to check-in. If you arrive 30 or more minutes late, you will not be allowed to test.
Be sure to bring a form of identification that includes your name, signature, and photo. Your ID must not be expired or temporary.
There are many items that are prohibited from the testing center. Some of these include a cell phone, study materials, and food/drink.
Can I take a break during the exam?
There is no break built-in to the exam, but you may take a restroom break if needed. Keep in mind, if you do take a break, the exam clock will not be stopped while you are away. This means you will have less time for actual test-taking.
What happens after I take the exam?
Right after taking the exam, you will receive onscreen notification of your exam status. It will indicate whether you have passed or failed. Before leaving, you will also receive a printed copy of your official score report.
What is the minimum passing score on this exam?
In order to pass this exam, you must get 73 out of 100 items correct.
What happens if I don’t pass the exam?
You must wait 30 days before scheduling to take it again. If you do not pass after the second attempt, you can wait another 30 days to schedule again. If you fail the third attempt, you must wait another 180 days to schedule. If it’s necessary to try more than four times, you must wait another 180 days between each attempt.
You can take the exam as many times as necessary to pass.
How Can I Prepare for the Series 66 Test?
That’s a great question. We’ve broken down the answer into three parts.
- Do yourself a favor and study. Do not walk in unprepared. We have recommended prep materials below, but that only helps if you actually try. Plus, studying is actually proven to be the best antidote to test anxiety.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure you’re eating well, exercising, and sleeping. All of these things are scientifically linked to brain performance. If you take care of your body, you’ll be helping your grades.
- Get a study guide or set of flashcards. Some people study better a certain way. Find your study strengths and make the most of them. We’ve tried to make it easy for you by tracking down the best study guide and flashcard set for your exam. Below you’ll see links to both!