The Praxis Speech Language Pathology Exam measures the necessary knowledge a candidate must have in order to practice as a speech language pathologist in a variety of professional settings.
The exam is offered to candidates who are currently pursuing, or who have already completed a master’s degree program.
How much does it cost to take the exam?
The cost of the exam is $120 which is due at the time you register. You may pay using credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover). You may also pay by money order or check.
How do I register for the Praxis Speech Language Pathology Exam?
You may register online, by mail or by phone:
Go to the Praxis website (https://www.ets.org/praxis/register/). Be sure to print out your testing ticket and bring it with you on the day of your exam.
You will need to complete the Test Authorization Voucher Request Form and mail it to ETS. After your request is processed, you will receive a voucher number in the mail along with instructions as to how to register. This process takes about three weeks. Be sure to print your testing ticket.
This option is for those who have previously created a praxis account online, and who are testing at a U.S. based testing center.
You can call the ETS number at, 1-800-772-9476 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 7:45 p.m. ET. You only have the option of paying by credit/debit card.
You MUST contact ETS at least four days before your scheduled exam date.
What if I am a person with a disability? Will there be accommodations available?
Yes. If you are someone with a disability, accommodations are available. However, you must apply for accommodations through ETS disability services before registering for the exam. You will want to do this as soon as possible because processing can take up to six weeks.
Where is the exam given?
The Speech Language Pathology Exam is given at Prometric testing centers across the country and internationally. To find a test center near you, visit: https://www.ets.org/praxis/register/dates_centers/
How many questions are on the exam?
The exam is computer-based and consists of 132 selected-response questions. You will have approximately 2.5 hours to complete it.
What should I bring on the day of the exam?
On the day of your exam, you should have with you a signed, government issued photo ID. You should not have any personal items with you, such as a cell phone, study material, or a bag.
You will not need to bring any pens or pencils as supplies will be provided to you at the testing center.
On the day of the exam be sure to arrive at your testing center at least 30 minutes early.
What will I be tested on?
The Praxis Speech Language Pathology Exam is broken up into three categories:
- Foundations and Professional Practice (33%): Including, but not limited to:
- Typical development and performance across the lifespan
- Factors that influence communication, feeding, and swallowing
- Wellness and prevention
- Counseling, collaboration, and teaming
- Screening, Assessment, and Evaluations, and Diagnosis (33%): Including, but not limited to:
- Communication disorders
- Feeding and swallowing disorders
- Developing case histories
- Assessment of anatomy and physiology
- Speech and production
- Disease processes
- Auditory problems
- Planning, Implementation, and Evaluation of Treatment (33%):: Including, but not limited to
- Generating a prognosis
- Communicating recommendations
- Follow-up on post treatment referrals and recommendations
- Receptive and expressive language
- Hearing and aural rehabilitation
What score do I need to get on the Praxis Speech Language Pathology Exam in order to pass?
The exam is scored on a scale of 100-200. In order to pass, you want to score at least a 162.
You can find more information about states and their scores on the Praxis website: http://www.ets.org/praxis/states.
What if I don’t know the answer to a question? Can I guess?
If you don’t know the answer to a question, you will not lose points on the exam for guessing an answer.
I heard that not all states require the Praxis Speech Language Pathology Exam. Is this true?
This is true. The Praxis series exams are currently a requirement for approximately 40 states and United States territories.
So why does my state require it?
If you are required to take the Speech Language Pathology Exam, it is because your state expects all prospective teachers to hold a certain level of knowledge, before they begin to teach.
How long will it take before I get my test results?
Because the Speech Language Pathology Exam is all selected-response questions, you will receive your scores immediately after completing the exam. An official score report will be mailed to you a few weeks after taking the exam.
What if I failed my exam? Do I have the option of taking it again?
Yes. If you failed your exam, you may retake it after 21 days – this does not include your initial exam.
What if I need to cancel my exam?
You may cancel your exam either online or by phone, at least three days before your exam date, or any fees you paid will be forfeited. If you cancel your exam in time, you may receive a refund of up to 50% of what you paid.
How Can I Prepare for the Praxis Speech Language Pathology Test?
That’s a great question. We’ve broken down the answer into three parts.
- Do yourself a favor and study. Do not walk in unprepared. We have recommended prep materials below, but that only helps if you actually try. Plus, studying is actually proven to be the best antidote to test anxiety.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure you’re eating well, exercising, and sleeping. All of these things are scientifically linked to brain performance. If you take care of your body, you’ll be helping your grades.
- Get a study guide or set of flashcards. Some people study better a certain way. Find your study strengths and make the most of them. We’ve tried to make it easy for you by tracking down the best study guide and flashcard set for your exam. Below you’ll see links to both!