Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001) Exam

The Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects test is a computer-administered exam made up of 245 questions divided into four subjects: Reading and Language Arts, Mathematics, Social Studies, and Science. The test lasts 4.25 hours (255 minutes).
Tests are administered only in English, however, test-takers whose primary language is not English may be eligible for extended testing time. There are other accommodations available for individuals who meet the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements, including a separate test room, large print test book, and test reader.

Online Praxis 5001 Prep Course

If you want to be fully prepared, Mometrix offers an online Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001) Prep Course. The course is designed to provide you with any and every resource you might want while studying. The Praxis 5001 Course includes:

  • Review Lessons Covering Every Topic
  • 1,700+ Praxis 5001 Practice Questions
  • More than 950 Digital Flashcards
  • Over 380 Instructional Videos
  • Money-back Guarantee
  • Free Mobile Access
  • and More!

The Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001) Prep Course is designed to help any learner get everything they need to prepare for their Praxis 5001 exam. Click below to check it out!

Person studying at a desk with a laptop and headphones. Promo for a 20% discount on an online Praxis Elementary Education course from Mometrix, using code PR5001.

How is the test structured?

There are 4 separate, individually-time sections in this exam. They are:

  • Reading and Language Arts is the longest subtest of the Multiple Subjects test. It is comprised of 80 questions and lasts 90 minutes.
  • Mathematics has 50 questions and lasts 65 minutes.
  • Social Studies has 60 questions and lasts 60 minutes.
  • Science has 55 questions and lasts 60 minutes.

What are the categories and topics covered on this exam?

Within the Reading and Language Arts section, there are two categories: Reading (47%); and Writing, Speaking, and Listening (53%). Topics in these categories include Foundational Skills, Literature and Informational Texts, Writing, Language, and Speaking and Listening.

The Mathematics section contains three categories: Numbers and Operations (40%), Algebraic Thinking (30%), and Geometry and Measurement, Data, Statistics, and Probability (30%). Topics in these categories include the place value system, operations and properties of rational numbers, proportional relationships and percents, basic concepts of number theory, reasonableness of results, algebraic expressions, equations, and formulas, linear equations and inequalities, patterns, one-, two-, and three-dimensional figures, perimeter, area, surface area, and volume, components of the coordinate plane, measurement, basic statistical concepts, representing data, and probability.

The Social Studies section also has three categories: United States History, Government, and Citizenship (45%), Geography, Anthropology, and Sociology (30%), and World History and Economics (25%). Topics under these categories include European exploration and colonization, major events and developments in US history, twentieth-century developments, forms of government, important documents and speeches, world and regional geography, classical civilizations, basic concepts of economics, and the government’s role in economics.

The Science section contains three categories: Earth Science (33%), Life Science (33%), and Physical Science (33%). Topics in these categories include structures and systems of the Earth, history of the Earth, the planets and other systems of the universe, the structure of living systems, cells, tissues, and organs, reproduction and heredity, life cycles, natural selection, ecosystems, nutrition, the physical and chemical properties of matter, forces and motion, energy, electricity, magnetism, and sound.

Can I use a calculator on the exam?

For the Mathematics and Science sections, an on-screen scientific calculator will be provided. Access may be requested prior to taking the exam so test-takers can familiarize themselves with the functions of the on-screen calculator.

How do I register for the exam?

Prior to registering for the exam, you should check your state or agency’s testing requirements in order to see which test is required for licensure.

If you require any disability accommodations, you must apply through ETS Disability Services.
You may register online with a credit/debit card or PayPal. If this is not an option, you may complete a Test Authorization Voucher Request Form and submit it via mail. If you have a Praxis account, and you will be taking the test at a U.S. test center, you may register by phone, however there is an additional $35 surcharge for this service.

What is the cost of the exam?

The cost of the exam is $170. There may be special surcharges depending upon any additional services. For example, phone registration would add an additional $35, and any change of test date or test center would incur a $40 surcharge.

What are the testing dates and locations?

There are many test centers around the world. Pick whichever is most convenient for you. Some tests are offered consistently throughout the year while others are only offered during testing windows which occur at select times throughout the year.

What should I do the day of the exam?

Arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes before your appointment time. Bring a valid form of identification with you.

Can I bring personal items into the testing room?

Handbags, knapsacks, briefcases, water bottles or canned or bottled beverages, any electronic, photographic, recording, or listening devices, and personal items such as cell phones or smartphones are not prohibited in the test center. Some test centers will have designated spaces to store your belongings, however some will not.

Can I take a break during the exam?

You are given the option to take an unscheduled restroom break after finishing one subtest, but before completing the General Directions of the next. Your test time will not begin until you have completed the General Directions.

When can I receive my score?

You may be able to receive an unofficial score immediately following the conclusion of your test. Your official score report will be available two to three weeks after your test date.

What is a passing score?

States, institutions, and associations that require Praxis exams set their own requirements for passing scores. Once you receive your score report, it will include information regarding your state’s requirement for a passing score.

If I don’t pass the test, can I retake it?

You may retake the test if your score did not meet your state or agency’s passing requirement or feel that you would benefit from retaking the exam. However, because the Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5001) test is comprised of subtests, you may not retake a subtest until after a 21-day period.

How Can I Prepare for the Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Test?

We believe that different learning styles require different tools for success. We have compiled a list of the best study guides, flashcards, and online courses that we’ve found on the market. Some of these guides have review videos, for you visual learners out there. Others have practice tests, which have been proven to increase student scores by a whole letter grade (in some cases more than that)!

Top Study Guides: 

Best Online Course: 

High-Quality Flashcards: 


Last Updated: March 8, 2024