The Florida Teacher Certification Examinations (FTCE) Physical Education K-12 contains information pertaining to the instruction, assessment, and knowledge needed to teach in this field as an entry-level teacher in the state of Florida.
Who is Eligible to Take the FTCE?
Eligibility for this FTCE is achieved by simply creating an FTCE account online and then registering and paying for the exam. The fee is $200. You will have one year, once you have registered, to schedule and take your exam.
However, you will want to check with your specific school or institution to make they don’t have any other requirements for teaching licensure.
When and Where the FTCE Taken?
This exam is available year-round at Pearson VUE sites throughout the state of Florida and nationwide. A full list of available testing sessions will be provided during registration. Choose one that is most convenient for you. It is important to note that space is limited and filled on a first come, first served basis so be sure to schedule as soon as possible.
Those with disabilities and who cannot test under normal conditions, special accommodations are available upon request. Make this request during your registration and include the proper supporting documentation for a speedy approval.
You can reschedule or cancel your appointment for any reason online through your FTCE account. However, it must be done at least 24 hours before your original testing session. No changes can be made after this, causing you to be counted as a no-show on test day, forfeiting any fees.
What Should I Bring?
You will need to arrive at least 30 minutes before your exam on test day to make sure you have enough time to complete check-in and be ready. If you show up late, you will not be allowed to test that day and you will forfeit all fees paid up to that point.
You must bring at least two valid forms of identification with you. The first must include a photo, such as a driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID. Both forms must include your signature and full name as it appears on your registration. IDs containing missing or incorrect information will not be accepted. You will need to submit another ID or will not be allowed to enter.
Personal items are not allowed in the testing room and must be kept in a separate designated area for the duration of the exam. This includes but is not limited to:
- Cell phones and electronic devices
- Food and drinks
- Paper or study materials
- Wallets, purses, or bags
You will immediately be dismissed and your scores voided if you are found in violation of any testing rules.
What is Covered by the FTCE?
This computer-administrated exam consists of about 120 multiple-choice questions. Your exam may contain some pretest questions that will not count towards your score. These are not identified as such and will be scattered throughout the exam.
You will have two hours and 30 minutes to complete the exam. Below are some of the main topics this exam will cover.
- Human growth and development of motor skills and the physical education concepts appropriate for each grade level
- Instruction and assessment strategies to promote an effective learning environment
- Laws, regulations, professional ethics of physical education
- Appropriate technology uses for physical education
- Lifetime health, wellness, and physical fitness
- History and philosophy of physical education
- Curriculum development and appropriate safety rules and considerations
- Cognitive, social, and emotional development through physical education and activities
How is it Scored?
Your unofficial score report will be given to you at the testing center immediately after your exam. This will indicate a pass/fail status. Your official score reports are released within 4 weeks of your testing date and can be accessed through your FTCE account online.
During your registration, you will have the opportunity to indicate any institutions or agencies that you would like your passing exam results sent to. Additional copies may be purchased for your own use. To be considered passing, you will need to receive a scaled score of at least 200 on this exam.
If you fail the exam, you can retake it after a period of at least 31 calendar days from your last attempt. You will need to submit a new registration and exam fee to do so.
How to Prepare for the FTCE?
That’s a great question. We’ve broken down the answer into three parts.
- Do yourself a favor and study. Do not walk in unprepared. We have recommended prep materials below, but that only helps if you actually try. Plus, studying is actually proven to be the best antidote to test anxiety.
- Take care of yourself. Make sure you’re eating well, exercising, and sleeping. All of these things are scientifically linked to brain performance. If you take care of your body, you’ll be helping your grades.
- Get a study guide or set of flashcards. Some people study better a certain way. Find your study strengths and make the most of them. We’ve tried to make it easy for you by tracking down the best study guide and flashcard set for your exam. Below you’ll see links to both!