ASWB Master’s Exam
The second level of ASWB exams is the Master’s exam. The Master’s examination is designed for social workers with a Master’s degree in Social Work and less than 2 years of experience.
- Human Development and Behavior in the Environment (18% of the exam; includes theories, concepts, and the application of knowledge);
- Diversity and Social/Economic Justice (7%; includes diversity, social/economic justice, and oppression);
- Assessment, Diagnosis, and Intervention Planning (11%; includes biopsychosocial history and collateral data; assessment methods and techniques; assessment indicators, components, and characteristics; indicators of abuse and neglect; and intervention planning);
- Direct and Indirect Practice (22%; includes intervention models and methods; the intervention process; intervention techniques; intervention with couples and families; intervention with groups; intervention with communities and larger systems; and consultation and interdisciplinary collaboration);
- Communication (7%; includes communication principles and techniques);
- Professional Relationships (5%; includes relationship concepts; social worker and client roles; and ethical issues within the relationship);
- Professional Values and Ethics (11%; includes professional values; legal and ethical issues; and confidentiality);
- Supervision, Administration, and Policy (8%; includes supervision and staff development; human resource management; and finance and administration);
- Practice Evaluation and the Utilization of Research (2%; includes data collection; data analysis; and utilization of research);
- Service Delivery (9%; includes service delivery systems; obtaining services; and the effects of policies and procedures on service delivery).
The exam consists of 170 multiple-choice questions, 20 of which are pretest questions that will be used to develop future versions of the exam and they do not contribute to the test score. The minimum passing score is established by the jurisdiction in which the candidate takes the exam. The ASWB examinations are administered at special testing centers throughout the year in locations around the United States.