If you're considering joining the military, you'll need to know about the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, or ASVAB. It's often given to 11th graders, but anyone joining the military must pass it. It's used to determine a person's skills and aptitudes in a variety of subjects, and the results enable the military to place the person in the best possible slot for a person with that particular skill set.
The ASVAB is a multiple choice test and is broken down into eight areas. Each section has its own score, and are combined to come up with your composite score. It's scored on a percentile basis, so 99 is the highest possible score. Different branches of the military will have different minimum composite scores, and those will vary within each branch by different job. The higher you score, the more jobs and options you'll qualify for. If you don't take it in high school, you'll take the test at your nearest Military Entrance Processing Station, or at an armory or recruiting station. It's timed, and it takes about three and a half hours to complete.
The sections are as follows: General Science-25 questions of life, earth, and physical sciences. Arithmetic Reasoning-30 questions involving basic math. Word Knowledge-35 questions on vocabulary and synonyms. Paragraph Comprehension-15 questions testing your reading and comprehension skills. Mathematics Knowledge-25 questions on math concepts and how to use them. Electronics Information-20 questions on basic electronic principles. Auto and Shop Information-25 questions about cars, both maintaining and repairing them, and working with wood and metal. Mechanical Comprehension-25 questions on the properties of different materials, and mechanical principles.
Your score on the test will be a huge determining factor in what position you wind up taking in the military, and so its effects will be felt for your entire military career. You should attempt to do your very best on the test because a lot is riding on it.
1. The temperature of a cup of coffee is 98 degrees. If its temperature decreases by 2 degrees per minute, what will its temperature be after 4 minutes?
2. A man's lawn grass is 3 inches high. He mows the lawn and cuts off 30% of its height. How tall will the grass be after the lawn is mowed?
3. Constructed most nearly means:
4. Required most nearly means:
5. Studies have shown again and again that birth order strongly influences the person one will eventually become. Oldest children have been shown to be more responsible and perform better in school. Younger children tend to do less well in school and be more free spirited. Cindy is a good example. She graduated on the Dean's list, and her parents report she always did her chores as a child.
It can be concluded that
6. According to the laws of supply and demand, consumers will demand less of a good if the price is higher and more if it is lower. Conversely, suppliers will produce more of a good when the price is higher and less when it is lower.
If a supplier wanted to sell more of a good, they would
7. Simply the following expression (2x4y7m2z) * (5x2y3m8)
8. A classroom contains 13 boys and 18 girls. If a student's name is chosen randomly, what is the probability it will be a girl's name?
First, find out what the total temperature decrease will be after 4 minutes:
2 * 4 = 8 degrees
Then, subtract that from the original temperature: 98 - 8 = 90 degrees
2. B First, calculate 30% of 3 inches: 3 * 0.3 = 0.9 inches. Then, subtract this value from the original length: 3 - 0.9 = 2.1
3. D Constructed most nearly means built. If you say a home is constructed out of wood, for example, it conveys the same meaning as saying the home is built out of wood.
4. A Something that is required is needed. For example, if you say you require ten dollars to buy lunch, it implies that you need ten dollars for lunch.
5. A It is reasonable to conclude that the author mentioned Cindy because it would strengthen the argument that birth order affects personality traits. The passage states that oldest children are more responsible and perform better in school. Since Cindy was on the Dean's list (good academic performance) and did her chores as a child (a sign of responsibility), it is reasonable to assume that Cindy was an oldest child.
6. B A supplier should reduce the price of a good if they want to sell more of it because, according to the passage, "consumers will demand less of a good if the price is higher and more if it is lower."
To simplify this expression, the law of exponents that states that xm * xn = xm+n
must be observed.
Therefore, 10x6y10m10z is the simplified expression.
8. C First, find the total number of students in the classroom: 13 + 18 = 31 There is an 18 in 31 chance that a name chosen randomly will be a girl's name. To express this as a percentage, divide 18 by 31, then multiply that number by 100: 18/31 * 100% = 58%
We have partnered with TestPrepReview.com to offer you Free Daily ASVAB Video Lessons. Delivered to your email, completely free...just enter your email address below:
© 2014 Copyright Study Guide Zone. All rights reserved. All information on this site is provided as is, without warranty.
Since we are giving information away, we cannot be held liable for incidental mistakes. Test names and other trademarks are the property of the respective trademark holders. None of the trademark holders are affiliated with StudyGuideZone.com. Permission is not required to add a link to this resource.