THEA Math Practice Questions
1. What is the slope of the line expressed in the equation -4x + 5y = 15 ?
2. What is the slope of a line that passes through (4, 6) and (8, 12)?
4. B is fifteen less than the sum of the product of x and y and the difference between q and z. Which equation expresses this relationship?
A. B = xy + (q – z) – 15
B. B = [(xy) + (q – z)] – 15
C. B = 15 – [(xy) + (q – z)] D. B = 15 – xy + (q – z)
5. John is training for a marathon. During his second week of training he ran 84 miles, three times as many as he ran in the first week. How many miles did he run in his first two weeks of training?
A. 112 miles
B. 105 miles
C. 100 miles
D. 116 miles
6. If Jane can type 50 words a minute, how many words can she type in an hour?
7. Larry is driving to his mother’s house 700 miles away. On the morning of the first day, he drives 220 miles, and in the afternoon he drives 30% of the remaining distance. How much will he still have left to drive on the second day?
A. 336 miles
B. 280 miles
C. 300 miles
D. 352 miles
8. If 8x = 4y – 3, what is the value of y?
A. x + 4
B. 2x + 3/4
C. 2x – 4/3
D. x – 1/2
9. Figure BCDEF is similar to figure RSTUV. If CD = 15, ST = 5, and EF = 30, what is the value of UV?
10. What is the next value in the sequence: 3, 7, 15, 31,____?
1. C. The equation for slope is y = mx + b, in which m is slope.
2. B. Slope can be found with the following equation: (y2 – y1)/(x2- x1).
3. A. Solve for x in the first equation, then substitute this value into the second equation.
4. B. It is important to set up the equation so that it will be performed correctly according to the order of operations.
5. A. Divide 84 by 3, and then add this dividend to 84.
6. B. Multiply the number of words typed per minute by the number of minutes in an hour.
7. A. Subtract 220 from 700, then multiply the difference by 0.3. Subtract this amount from the difference to find the answer.
8. B. Solve for y by adding 3 to both sides and then dividing both sides by 4.
9. D. The given values establish that BCDEF is three times larger than RSTUV, so UV will be one-third the size of EF.
10. C. Each successive number is found by multiplying the previous number by 2 and adding 1 to the product.
For additional information, we recommend you check out these free THEA test resources: