MCAT® Exam Biological Sciences Practice Questions
1. Which of the following does not help to make up the cytoskeleton?
C. intermediate fibers
2. What is the name for an enzyme secreted in an inactive form?
A. binary fission
B. binary fusion
C. binary collision
D. binary occlusion
4. What is it called when a single zygote divides into 2 embryos, resulting in identical twins?
A. heterozygotic twins
B. monozygotic twins
C. polyzygotic twins
D. homozygotic twins
5. What is the name for the rhythmic movements of the involuntary muscles that move food through the body?
6. What is the name of the enzyme produced in the pancreas that hydrolyzes specific peptide bonds and converts chymotrypsinogen to chymotrypsin?
7. What is the name of the vein that transports glucose and other sugars that are absorbed in digestion to the liver?
A. renal vein
B. hepatic occludal vein
C. carotid vein
D. hepatic portal vein
8. What is a heterozygous organism?
A. an organism that carries one allele
B. an organism that carries two different alleles
C. an organism that carries no alleles
D. an organism that carries two identical alleles
9. What is the name for the existence of more than one phenotypic forms in a population
10. What is another name for the evolution of a new species?
C. mass production
1. D. Ribosomes are part of a cell.
2. C. It is important to know the names of all the major types of enzymes.
3. A. Fission means to break apart.
4. B. Monozygotic literally means ‘one zygote.’
5. C. There are a number of disorders that can disrupt the process of peristalsis.
6. D. It is important to know the names of all the major enzymes.
7. D. It is important to know the names of all the major veins.
8. B. A heterozygous organism carries multiple different alleles.
9. A. The word polymorphism literally means ‘many forms.’
10. D. The word species is contained within speciation.
For additional information, we recommend you check out these free MCAT test resources:
MCAT® is a registered trademark of the Association of American Medical Colleges, which does not endorse this program or our methodology.