Free LSAT Analytical Reasoning Practice Test
Directions: Each question in this section is based on a set of conditions. In answering some of the questions, it may be useful to draw a rough diagram. Choose the response that most accurately and completely answers the question.
Ms. Jackson’s third-grade class must cover the following subjects during the course of the school day: social studies, music, art, math, spelling, and science. Each of these subjects will be addressed once during the school day, and the order in which they will be addressed is subject to the following conditions:
Music must be the third subject covered.
Social studies must be covered before math.
Spelling must be covered before both social studies and science.
1. Which of the following could be the order in which the subjects are covered?
A. Spelling, science, social studies, math, music, art
B. Math, social studies, music, science, art, spelling
C. Music, science, spelling, social studies, math, art
D. Music, art, spelling, science, math, social studies
E. Spelling, art, music, social studies, science, math
2. If Ms. Jackson covers art first, what subject must she cover second?
C. Social studies
3. Which of the following statements has to be true?
A. Music is covered before art.
B. Math is covered before science.
C. Spelling is covered before math.
D. Social studies is covered before science.
E. Music is covered before spelling.
4. Which of the following statements could be true?
A. Music is covered first.
B. Science is covered last.
C. Math is covered second.
D. Spelling is covered third.
E. Social studies is covered last.
5. Which of the following subjects could not be covered immediately after music?
E. Social studies
1. E. Use process of elimination: the first condition rules out A and D; the third condition rules out B and C.
2. A. Since spelling must be covered before social studies, science, and math, it has to be the second subject.
3. C. Spelling must come before social studies, and social studies must come before math; therefore, spelling must come before math.
4. B. Answer choices A and D violate the first condition. Answer choice C is impossible, since math must be preceded by both spelling and social studies. Answer choice E is impossible, since social studies must be covered before math.
5. B. Since spelling must be covered before social studies, science, and math, and since music must be third, spelling can be no later than second in the order. Therefore, it cannot be the fourth subject covered.
For additional information, we recommend you check out these free LSAT test resources: